Sri Lanka's #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers


You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lankan Law Forum » Criminal Law Forum » Reporting an Incest

Reporting an Incest

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Reporting an Incest Empty Reporting an Incest on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 pm

My Lawyer

Obtain a medical examination as soon as possible from an authorized medical officer. The medical officer has a duty to collect hair, body fluids, fibers and other evidence, if any. Medical officers have a duty to report any incident of suspected incest to the Judicial Medical Officer (JMO) and Police.

Make a complaint to the nearest police station.

Report the incident to the National Child Protection Authority if the victim-survivor is a child below the age of 18 years.

Inquire whether the police station has a Women and Children’s Desk or ask for a woman police officer if you prefer speaking to a woman instead of a male constable. Make sure all details of the incident are covered.

Ensure that you read the statement before signing it.

In addition to taking a statement, police will collect physical evidence and take statements from witnesses if there are any.

The police interview may take several hours, depending on the circumstances of your case. Some questions may be intrusive, and the officer may go over the details of your attack several times. The extensive questioning is often justified by the need to get every detail down precisely, to make the strongest possible case against the perpetrator.

It helps to write down every detail you can remember, as soon as possible, so you can communicate the details to the police.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum